This task can be used to combine one or more values. The values can be applied selectively.
Let us start with the following data.
Our goal is construct a Date column that combines values from the first three columns like this.
|10||April||2010||10 April, 2010|
|12||March||2010||12 March, 2010|
In the Date column, note the space between day & month and comma followed by space after the month name. Combine column allows interleaving character strings to achieve this. The interleaving of column and characters has to be done in the order it is to appear in the result string. To achieve above results, we should add following in order
- Day Column
- Month Column
- A string “, “
- Year Column
To achieve this
- Open Data Preparation menu and click on Column Functions
- Select Combine Multiple Columns
- Choose a combination of columns and String value by clicking on + button in the order you would like them to appear.
- Enter the name of the new column into which you would like the results to appear. For the current example enter text Date in the Apply Result Into section.
- Click APPLY. The view would update with the new column called Date.