The Lookup task allows populating of additional information about entries in a column from another reference view.
This task is very similar to the Join or Merge task supported by Mammoth. The key difference is that Lookup brings only one column from the reference view while Join can bring multiple columns from the reference view.
This task is similar to doing a VLOOKUP in Microsoft Excel.
Let us start with the following sample data:
|Student ID||Total Marks|
The data is a collection of Student IDs. Let us also assume that we have a reference view containing the following data:
Let us assume that you want to populate the Mark Sheet with the Student Name. You can achieve that by completing the following steps:
- Open Data Preparation menu and click on Merge & Branch Out
- Select Lookup
- Select Student ID as the Key Column.
- Select Students → View 1 as the Lookup Table.
- Under the Lookup Table, Select ID as the Key Column, Name as the value column.
- Enter Name as the new column name.
- Click APPLY.
The final result will appear as shown below:
|Student ID||Total Marks||Name|
- Source Key Column: The column used as the key when performing Lookup.
- Lookup Table: The view used as the reference table when performing Lookup.
- Lookup Key Column: The column in the reference table used as the key when performing Lookup.
- Lookup Value Column: The column in the reference table used as the value when performing Lookup.
- Apply result into: This option allows configuration of the destination of the results by this task. See result documentation.